Microsoft Word 2016 Tutorial - Sort Tables





While working in Tables using
Microsoft Word, and after entering data into cells, you might later decide to
sort that data. Like this table in our Standard Feed file, as I have already
entered all the data into table, what I want now is to sort the list in
alphabetically order, according to Crumbs item names. Before we actually go
sorting this table, do note that, this table has a header row, means the first
row indicating the description of the records below like, Crumbs Item Names,
MRP, Price Per Bag, and Availability, and we also have a Total Row in the end
of this table. So, while sorting this table according to item names, I don’t
want the first heading row and the last total row be sorted along with the
entire table.
So first what I did is, start selecting
my table from the very first cell of the table, and while holding down the left
mouse button I move down up to the last cell under Availability column. I am
not selecting the Total row here because I want it be stay there, even after
the entire table get sorted, this is why I am not including it into the
selection.
Once you select the desire area of the
table, click the Layout tab from the Ribbon, and then click Sort from the Data
group. The first thing that you should take care in the Sort window is, the
Header Row. As you can see, in my case, My List has Header Row option is
already being selected automatically. So, you must take care about this option
that, does your table has a heading row or not? If you want to sort the entire
table including the first row of your table, then you can select the second
option, No Header.
You can see the effect of having or
removing the Header Row right into the Sort By column. If I choose My List has
Header Row, then you can see the heading names under the Sort By drop down
column, and if I choose No Headers, then you will see column numbers in the
list.
The second step while sorting the
table is to choose, according to which column you want to sort the data? As I
want my table to be sorted alphabetically according to the very first column
which is, Crumbs Item Names, so I choose Crumbs from the drop down list. Then
you need to choose the data type for the column according to which you are
going to sort the list, like either the particular column has text values, numerical
values, or dates. Word will try to make an assumption of its own, like if I
change the sort column from Crumbs to Price Per Bag, then you can notice that
the type has automatically changed to Numeric. Then you have the option that
either you want to sort the data in Ascending Order or in Descending Order,
like sort the list from A to Z or, Z to, A, and if the column has numerical
values then, smaller the first or larger the first.
After that you have two similar
options of, Then By. In Then By column, you can choose other field from your
table, according to which you would like to sort your table. But here is a
condition that applies to Then By option. Let’s say that if I choose Price Per
Bag field in Then By column, that means, if the first sort by column Crumbs
have a duplicate record, then which duplicate record is listed first. It will
depend on the sorting method of the column that you will choose in Then By
option. I will show you an example in this video later, let’s leave it blank
for now.
As soon as I press the OK button, you
can see that, the entire data has been sorted according to first column,
whereas the Header Row and the last Total row remain intact.
Now we move to the second page and
sort this table, where it does not have any header row. So I select this entire
table, and click the Sort command. For this table, I will choose No Header Rows
because I want to sort all the entries in the current selected table, and I
choose Column 2 from the Sort By list, and sort it in Descending Order, because
I want the higher price item to be on top of the list.
Now let’s move to the third table to
understand the concept of applying Then By option. As you can see in this table
that that last two items in the table are duplicate items, but I want them in
the table because they have different price tag. So what I need while sorting
the table is, I want to sort the table according to First Column, but then if
there is a duplicate value exist in the first column, then the item with higher
price get display first in the list. As I apply the changes, you can see the
results. Pre Starter Premium has two records, but the higher in price item is
listed above in the data after the sort. So, this is how the Then By option
works only on duplicate records.
There is one more option available
that you may find useful while sorting the tables. To understand this option,
let’s move to the third page of this document, and select this table having two
fields only, Names and Addresses.
As you can see that, under Customer
Name column, full name of the customer has been typed, but both the first and
last name has been separated using commas. Even headings of this column has
been typed as, First Name comma Last Name. So, if you ever have a table like
this, and you want to sort it either according to the first name or the last
name, Microsoft Word can also help you in this as well.
I select the entire table, and then
click Sort from the Layout tab. Now if you click the drop down menu under
“Using”, you can find the First Name and Last Name along with Paragraph. As I
want to sort my list according to Last Name, I select Last Name from the drop
down list. If you have used similar separator, such as comma, in the entire
list, then Microsoft Word will try to automatically identify the separator, or
you can tell Microsoft Word about the separator by clicking on Options button
below. Here you can choose the separator that you have used in data, or can
type in Other column. You can also tell Word to use Case Sensitive sorting, if
you want smaller and capital words to be sorted separately.
So as I apply the changes, you can see
the results right away. The list has been sorted according to the Last Name for
the first column of the table.
So this was all about Sorting your
tables in Microsoft Word. Hope you will find this video useful. Tell us by
leaving a comment in the box below, and hitting the like button. Don’t forget
to subscribe to our channel, and do share this video with your friends. Thanks
for watching, and have a nice day!



Comments