How To Change Drive Letters in Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7

Sometimes, you may require to change the drive letter of a partition, as they are not in the order, as you want them. For instance, I want my drives to be in a continuous sequence like C, D, and E drive. For my DVD drive, I want to use drive letter E, and for the second partition, I want to use the drive letter D. To change the drive letters, type Disk Management in the Start Search box, and then click, Create and format hard disk partitions, or right-click on Computer icon, and then click Manage. You can also access Disk Management from Control Panel. Open Control Panel, and in Category View, click System and Security. Under System and Security, either click on, Create and format hard disk partitions or, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management, and from the left side pane click, Disk Management.

In the Disk Management window, right-click on the partition for which you want to change the drive letter. Do remember that, you cannot change the drive letters of System and Boot partitions. The system partition is where hardware related files are stored, and that tell computer where to look to start Windows. A Boot partition is where your Windows operating system files are store, which are located in Windows folder.

To change the drive letter, right-click on the partition, and then click, Change Drive Letters and Path. Click the Change button, and choose a drive letter from the drop down list. Only those letters will be available which are not already assigned to any other drive. So, if I want to assign drive letter E to my DVD drive, then I first need to change the drive E letter to something else, and then I can assign letter E to my DVD drive. Repeating the same steps, you can assign different drive letters accordingly.

 

Comments